Friday 20 August 2010

Terms and Conditions...

I doubt anyone beyond my faithful circle of friends is reading this but I thought I'd better let you know why I am disabled.

I've not consciously tried to avoid the subject but a friend mentioned that although it's nice to let people know about my freedom and the fun parts of my life, my conditions do govern each day and I suppose my personality too!

Firstly I have a form of Cerebral Palsy called Hemiplegia which in my case means the left side of my body is weaker and less co-ordinated that the right. This most likely occurred when I was being born. I didn't give my Mum the nicest birthing experience, and I apparently become distressed on my way out and had a stroke - always the drama queen!

I have a very mild version of Hemiplegia, and probably would have avoided a wheelchair and basically would have just had a limp. But, I developed a condition called Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome to long term sufferers it’s known as Really Sucks Disease lol! As the name's indicates I am in pain - a lot pain!

RSD is different in every person that has it. Some people go into full remission and others like me, don't! Since I was 7 I have been in various degrees of pain with spasms, burning pains, muscle aches, pins and needles etc etc . but as I've got older the pain has gotten worse.

Although I go out quite a bit - as you've probably guessed I'm a people person. After my visits, I'm exhausted! I don't want to bore you too much with it, but life can be difficult, as I don't sleep much at all, I'm constantly drained from the pain its self, plus some days I find the simplest things like cooking or doing the dishes a trial in my day.

BUT in the end, I do have a good life; it may not be your average one! On the good days, I try to make the most of it, as cliché as it is, you don't know what tomorrow will bring.

I still feel I need to do more, and make a mark on the world. I joke that I'm having a quarter life crisis...... maybe I am!

L x

1 comment:

  1. I read your posts, and I'm just a random girl from Norway :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting. Should you wish to contact me privately e-mail Lynsey_Ellard@hotmail.com