Monday 31 January 2011

Aussie Day

I have been a very busy girl! I’m going to have to break it down into several blog posts! I’m getting very used to this lifestyle and I would move here for the weather alone! It’s not dipped under 27 degrees during the day! I get up between 6-7am have breakie with Mike, go to the gym, swim sunbathe (I refuse to come back paste so I actually dedicated time to sun worship) then spend the week days writing/reading/researching. As I type this its Monday afternoon 30 degrees with a light warm breeze cooling myself and the laptop!
Health wise I’m in less pain than I would be at home, the heat is definitely a bonus for the RSD I’m worried that the weather is just masking the relapse and coming back to the freezing UK is going to be like the 6 nerve blocks I had years ago – a teasing relief.

Anyway I still have another glorious week here so I’ll start where I left my last post.

I was at Mike’s work on Tuesday and we tried to go down to the South Bank but there were community service officers stopping any one wandering round. Still it was nice to explore the Central Business district and see more of the city.

Wednesday was Australia day, I find it quite funny that it commemorates the first convict ships we sent to OZ landing in 1788. Who am I to question a day off work though? We headed up the Sunshine Coast to the Alexandra Headland with two of Mike’s University friends Jenna and Brian who moved out here 18 months ago. Man! They’re living the life, better paid jobs, a custom built 4 bedroom house and THIS WEATHER! – Jealous much?

In Alexandra we sunbathed in the 34 degree heat – a b.e.a.utiful day! I had my first experience of waves! They were so strong I had to hold on for dear life to Mike as the limp cheese strings a.k.a my legs couldn’t hold me up. It was strange that the beaches weren’t pack at all; on a day like that in Southend you couldn’t get a spot to stand upright!
Sunshine coast - the place to be!
Jen and Brian took us to lunch (thanks guys!) at The Lime Grill opposite the Beach, a cafe run by a couple of New Zealanders (hey we’re not Aussies so we broke the days tradition!) we all had burgers and wraps topped with gorgeous huge milk shakes! When we had finished Jen said we had to go to go for ice cream (was never going to say no to that!) and despite being stuffed we went to a Cold Rock (a Queensland chain of Ice Cream parlours). At Cold Rock you chose one of their 37 flavours of the good stuff and chose a chocolate or candy to be crushed and folded into your ice cream – heaven!

Feeling hot hot hot!
We came home about 4 and crashed, what is it about heat and salty air that makes you so sleepy? Still mildly jet lagged I was in bed by 8 – such a rock star!

All of Thursday and Friday during the day I didn’t do much at all, I was so knackered after Australia day, so I sat and read half of Stephen Fry’s autobiography – I didn’t think I could admire him any more than I did, turns out I so can!! I wish I could get away with such flamboyant and dramatic writing!

Friday evening I was actually really nervous! My Uncle Glen was visiting from Sydney and he’s lived here 23 years so I didn’t remember him at all! I found myself dressing up and cleaning the apartment top to bottom. I had nothing to worry about, the evening went really well, we went to a local steakhouse called SS0 and had!! It was a cute Western themed place where you snacked on monkey nuts and popcorn between courses. I had some beers, but since I had my gall bladder removed calling me a lightweight is a joke, I had half a drink before I had to ask for bread to soak it up! Mike, my Uncle and I sat up until the early hours and got up early again to chat before his 11am flight home! He left saying I couldn’t remind him more of my Mum if I tried, I take that wholeheartedly as a complement!

L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting. Should you wish to contact me privately e-mail