Wednesday 2 November 2016

Avid Friender

I’ll toot my own trumpet; I have a lot of lovely friends these days, but as a child and teenager I was a bit of a weird kid, I didn’t get my peers at all and I would admittedly do odd things; I would be learning sign language in the playground or setting up lunchtime clubs for younger children and ignoring my own year group – I didn’t help myself really did I?

These days it’s a running joke that I’ll make friends with everyone; I do have my boiler man, electrician, and plumber on Facebook, I text the buyer of our old house and Whatsapp with the owners of my favourite cafe but recently someone asked if I have a need to be popular or where my large social media friends lists more for show?



I suppose a part of me loves being loved, who doesn’t? But I don’t feel the need to be popular per se, to be honest, I have enough family to make up for any shortfall in friends, but I genuinely love people.

I admit I’m a voracious friend requester, Instagram, and Twitter follower but when I meet interesting and new people I am fascinated by their lives, likes and what they get up to. People give me inspiration for writing, new products, places to try and for Mike’s new art business Bored Monkey.
I do hope that when anyone accepts my requests that they’re not only doing it to be polite and find me interesting too. 

I’m naturally very nosey and sometimes do suffer from a bit of FOMO (Fear of Missing out) but you’ll see stories playing out before you, way better than any soap opera or movie;

  • After a very serious health scare, watching a couple pack up their entire life, sell their house and go backpacking through South America -  brilliant!


  • I used to go clubbing with a guy in a large group of friends, like any small teenage group it became complicated with crushes and heartbreaks but watching this friend become a proper family man and self-employed photographer has been fun seeing the transformation.


  • Seeing a friend's Mum being told she would only live for 3 months and is still going strong 12 months later – inspiring!


  • I went to school with a girl who I’ve not seen for years, but she has an autistic son but watching the family’s joy when he accomplishes something they thought he wouldn’t do, is wonderful.


  • Seeing one of my closest friends who I don’t get to see very often at all; loving life in London and interviewing people like David Attenborough, Twiggy and Joanna Lumley for her job is jealously inducing mixed with genuine pride.


How can you not love social media, people, and all their stories?



Until next Wednesday
L xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting. Should you wish to contact me privately e-mail Lynsey_Ellard@hotmail.com